The cosmetic form of botulinum toxin, known as Dysport®, is a purified protein injectable filler that is FDA-approved for the temporary treatment of frown lines. This simple, non-surgical injection is also commonly used to temporarily reduce or eliminate forehead creases, crow’s feet near the eyes and thick bands in the neck.
The toxin blocks the nerve impulses, temporarily paralyzing the muscles that cause wrinkles, while giving the skin a smoother, more refreshed appearance. Studies have suggested that botulinum toxin can also be effective in relieving migraine headaches, excessive sweating and muscle spasms in the neck and eyes.
Dysport® is injected directly into the muscle that causes dynamic wrinkles (wrinkles that appear temporarily when a muscle contracts, such as smiling or frowning). A very small needle is used to minimize discomfort causing the injection to feel like a small prick with a little stinging. The entire procedure takes about 10 minutes. Since the procedure is non-surgical, no recovery time is needed, and patients can return to work or other activities immediately. Typically, Dysport® injections need to be repeated every three to four months.
La Visage Beauty Center specialists offer Dysport® injections to treat:
- Frown lines
- Crow’s feet
- Forehead creases
- Brow shaping (Dysport® injections can be used to alter the shape of the eyebrows to create a more aesthetically pleasing appearance).
- Brow elevation (lift)
- Correction of eyebrow asymmetry (to elevate the lower eyebrow to the same level as the higher eyebrow)
- Elevation of the corners of the mouth
- Upper/lower lip creases
- Marionette lines, “drool grooves”
- Lip lengthening to correct gummy smile
- Chin softening (peach pit chin and excessive cleft)
- To improve the appearance of new and old facial scars
- Horizontal “necklace” creases
- Vertical neckbands (turkey neck)